ffff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ffff

ffsdad

PortalPortal  SatursSaturs  MeklētMeklēt  Latest imagesLatest images  ReģistrētiesReģistrēties  IeietIeiet  

a new volume

Go down 
AutorsZiņojums
fivehiooo

Number of posts : 3

a new volume Empty
PostTēma: a new volume   a new volume Icon_minitimeTrešdiena Marts 30, 2011 12:28 am

a new volume

" Apropos of a new volume vaguely entitled Cream Triibner, he gives the clue. " I feign probabilities," he says, " and record improbabilities: the former are conjectures, the latter truths : mixed, they make a thing not so true as gospel, nor so false as history: viz. Fiction. When I startle you most, think twice before you disbelieve me. What able deceiver aims at shocking credulity ? Distrust rather my oily probabilities. They should be true too, if I Tory Burch Outlet could make them ; Tory Burch Shoes but I can't : they are guesses." To this Mr. Reade should have appended a brief explanation of the priuciple on which he christens his books. The Cream he offers " contains "the right word in the right place, as the titlepage assures ustwo narratives, the Autobiography of a Thief and Jack of all Trades, a MatterofFact Romance. Of these Tory Burch Flats the former has floated to the top out of the good things put aside for use, when " Never too Late to Mend " was published. It is the story of Thomas Robinson, who, it will be remembered, while in gaol, was set by the chaplain to write his life honestly ; and a sadly suggestive tale it is of temptation and crime, of restless daring and perverted talent. As we understand it, its substantial truth is its chief interest. In Jack of all Trades, which is also cast in the form of an autobiography, Mr. Reade writes with his accustomed vigour ; but while there is much to amuse, there is nothing to add to his reputation. The hero, the son of a fiddlemaker, starting from Seven Dials to live upon his wits, passes rapidly through many small vicissitudes of fortune, and seems likely to end as proprietor of Mademoiselle Djek, an elephant whose accomplishments almost rival his own ; but that celebrity being shot by authority for its cruel vagaries while on a continental tour, he returns home with a pretty wife to begin the world anew, and to take, we trust," sober, watchful, enterprising, energetic, and unlucky " as he may have beena few lessons in morality that shall teach him how to deserve success.
Atpakaļ uz augšu Go down

a new volume
Atpakaļ uz augšu 
Lapa 1 no 1

Permissions in this forum:Jūs nevarat atbildēt tematos šajā forumā
ffff :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Pāriet uz: